Three Things from the "how did I miss that" camp:
1) Paul "Bear" Vasquez, a man who lives on the outskirts of Yosemite was mesmerized by a rainbow, no...a double rainbow, last January while sitting in his backyard. He pulled out his video camera and spent the next 3 minutes and 30 seconds filming what Jimmy Kimmel has argued to be the funniest three minutes on tape. See for yourself, it is quite an experience.
As you saw, Mr. Vasquez's reaction was a bit over the top. His video was mentioned by Jimmy Kimmel and produced 3 million hits in Eight days. Then Mr. Vasquez was invited to be a guest on Kimmel's show and this expanded his popularity. Now there is a techno mix song put to the words he uttered on that fateful afternoon. Plus I found a truly incredible reenactment by an actress simply using the video as an audition for an acting gig. The viral video has now over 19 million hits!! Check them out, your students will already know about all of this. I apologize in advance as even I missed this one.
To top it all off, he BLOGS about his fame using the same medium as I, http://www.yosemitebear.net/. I think I will have to meet the guy when I am down there in the spring.
2) Ask Google Maps to give you directions from Japan to China. It actually tells you to "jet ski" part of the way to get to your destination. Don't believe me? I don't blame you. But you should as I don't tend to lie when I write. Talking to me is an entirely different story. (Check out step #43). How did I not know about this? Good question.
3) Peanut Butter and Bacon Sandwiches. A couple of immensely powerful taste bud delicacies that stand alone as two of the best tastes in the known universe. Could you believe what they would taste like together on one sandwich? Taste Chaos is what it would taste like! Guess what...it is real!! People actually have attempted putting these two taste explosions together. In the science world this is like splitting the atom, no one knew what would happen but the results would be out of this world. Tonight I had to try it for myself. I cooked up 5 pieces of bacon, spread copious amounts of crunchy peanut butter onto some whole wheat bread and had me a meal I had been waiting for my entire life.....ehh it was alright.
Things that were simply cool today:
4) I learned that Abner Doubleday was a civil war hero who is also credited with inventing baseball. This is mainly rumor and there is plenty of evidence against the claim, but nonetheless it is still popular folklore he is the guy. He's got to be rolling in his grave every time the Mariners take the field.
5) Our class studied a type of lesson plan today called "Concept Attainment". Think of the name and...well....you pretty much get the idea. In our example of the concept we all took on a character that came over on the Mayflower back in the long time ago days. I got to play a Military Mastermind named Myles Standish. He led the army defending the Plymouth Colony against, of all people, Native Americans. I got to play a character today that is well known for the slaughter of Native Americans on their own soil.....yup if there was egg in the room it was all over my face. To make it more fun for me, his nickname was "Captain Shrimpe".
6) Maps!!! Physical Maps, Political maps, climate maps, Google maps, road maps, topographic maps, and even economic maps. We all have seen them, but do we know to what we are even looking? I've been into cartography most of my adult life and was astonished about how little I knew about he different types out there. Check out how the Army explains maps. Yeah...you were suppose to click on the word "maps" back there in the previous sentence. There you go.
Three things that made be smile today:
7) I came back into the house this evening after saving 3 cats from trees, helping an elderly woman across the road, and doing my daily walk to Safeway to see if they are throwing any of their rotisserie chickens away when I see my daughter greet me with the Spaceballs DVD in hand saying "Daddy, can we watch this tonight". Clearly not a movie produced for a small child, I was forced to tell her "What you just did has got to be in my top five for greatest moments ever. Of course we can watch it!!" She sat in my arms watching Spaceballs for the first time. I sat with her in one arm and the remote in the other as I watched it for the 143rd time. I was able to mute the TV every time something came up that I didn't want her to hear. Yes I have the entire movie memorized...and no I will not post anymore Spaceballs clips.
8) The Nazca Booby!! These seabirds are mainly seen off coasts and on islands. There are soooo many types of Boobys, including the extra cool blue footed Booby pictured below. They are almost as cute as penguins, a character in which Disney has produced several movies...although I don't see Disney making any kind of movie called "Boobys Everywhere"???
9) My Cohort!!!! We heard some great news about one of our members today. We banded together to come up with a way to celebrate and raised over $100 to do something memorable tomorrow in class. Surround yourself with great people and you can truly do anything you want. Our Cohort rocks!! The problem is no one outside our cohort sees it that way. Bravo class.
Funny for the day:
Challenge #1: Make it through his clip without cracking a smile.....impossible!!
Cheerio!!
No comments:
Post a Comment